Monday, September 19, 2005

"Mother-in-Law"
The word means so many things
to so many people.More often
than not the word connotes
something negative.To some
the word is synonymous to
witch,monster, wicked, cruel,
inhuman, meddler, nagger,nasty and
so many other things.
But one page in my slumbook
stands out with the title
"To His Mother"
I clipped this poem of Minnie Price

long before I met
the man of my life, long before I
got hitched and begot children.

Unfortunately, I
didn't get the chance to meet her

as she was already gone
when I got married
to her son, the best and the most
wonderful person in my life,one of the

best things that ever happened
to my life.
Nevertheless, I kept the poem
in my slum book and I read and re-read
it so many many
times over and over again.
Today, I decided to blog the poem and
dedicate it to all the daughters-in-law in
the whole wide world. Hopefully the

ugly connotations would fade and in its stead,
a fresh new vibrant image could emanate.
" To His Mother"
"Mother-in-law," they say, and yet

Somehow I simply can't forget,
T'was you who watched his baby ways,
who taught him his first hymn of praise.
Who smiled on him with loving pride
when first he toddled by your side.
And as I think of this today,
Methinks that I'd much rather say
just "Mother."
"Mother-in-law," but oh! t'was you
Who taught him to be kind and true;
When he was tired, almost asleep,
T'was to your arms he used to creep,
And when he scrubbed his tiny knee,
T'was you who kissed it tenderly.
When he was down you cheered him too
And so I'd rather speak of you
as "Mother."
"Mother-in-law," they say and yet-
Somehow I never shall forget
How very much I owe,
To you who taught him how to grow.
You trained your son to look above
You made of him the man I love.
And as I think of that today
Ah then with thankful heart I'll say-
Our" Mother."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mother in law.

how sad that it often connotes the negative.

i'm proud to be a rarity, to have a mother in law i proudly and gladly call mommy. have i said thank you to her - not just for bearing her son who i love and who is the father of my dear children - but for being a gift to me. for her generosity. for her patience. for her honesty and wise words. for the long talks over lunch or dinner. for listening to my weird thoughts. for playing with my dear angels even when they're monsters. for making me and my children feel loved. for the good food and good wafers.

i never expected to have two moms. i'm forever grateful that i have.

now i wonder what a daughter-in-law connotes! hehehe.

we miss you and we hope to see you soon!